Captions

Thursday, September 12, 2013
Today we learned about captions.  I read the book shown below because it was rich with captions and because we will be learning about Johnny Appleseed next week.
 

I then made an anchor chart drawing a picture and putting captions in.  (I did not show you a picture of the chart because . . .well, let's just say it was subpar.  As soon as we discussed the chart, I flipped the page.  I did not want a grown up to pop in my room and even get a glance at it.  That's how bad it was.)
 
I gave each child six white labels and they went to their desks and got their journals out.  They drew a picture (I told them to draw whatever they wanted) and then they added captions.
 
 
If you can't read the first child's picture, it says:
This is a snake.  Snakes are poisonous.
This is my daddy.  He shoots snakes.
This is me.  I am scared of snakes.




 
 
I also had them glue the definition of a caption in their journals.  I took pictures of their journals before we glued the definition in.  You can grab yourself a copy by clicking on the picture below.
 
Happy Teaching!
 

1 comment

  1. What an excellent idea! I'm going to pin it so I will hopefully remember to do it when we get to captions. Thanks!
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete