Nonfiction Writing: Texas Symbols

Monday, March 9, 2020
Hi Friends!
I know it's been awhile since I posted anything here and there is a reason.  This school year, I moved to a new town and a new school.  I now teach first grade at Woodland Heights Elementary in Brownwood, Tx.  I have been busy adjusting to a new house, new school, and  making supplemental activities for the new Into Reading HMH adoption.  I have been saving some things that I have been doing with my class (my camera roll on my phone is FULL) to share with you when I get a chance and that is what I am here to do today.

This past week, we were learning about Texas Symbols and I needed to get in some nonfiction writing so I combined the two.
Here is a finished product from one of my firsties:







We completed these in one week.  
On Monday, I went over the nonfiction features we would put in our book.  These were:  
Title Page, Table of Contents and a "fun fact" that needed to be included on at least one symbol.
I used two nonfiction books that had these features and we went over them.

On Tuesday, we read about Texas symbols. I used a  PowerPoint I purchased on TpT by Cheryl Martin.  If you are interested in the one I used, you can check it out HERE.

Then, I had the students fold a piece of white paper into fourths and draw 4 symbols they wanted to write about.  (To save time, as they were working, I went around and spelled/wrote the name of their symbol for them)  Here are a few samples of our prewriting:



On Wednesday and Thursday, we wrote our books.
On Friday, my students shared their booklets with each other.

You can grab a copy of the booklet by clicking on the picture below.

Happy Teaching!


No comments